Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Bills vs. Souls Part 2

I was hitting my normal routine at the gym last week, going about my business as normal.  As I was working out I reflected on the previous week’s lesson God taught me; “Greg if you cared half as much about souls as you do paying your bills, you might get somewhere.”

I am going to let you in on a little secret I need you to keep to yourself.  Sometimes when I go to the gym, I stick my headphones in my ears but don’t have any music playing.  It’s all for looks.  I found that people won’t interrupt your workout as much if you have ear buds in, I know I have tried it.  The thing that bothers me at the gym is, to some people, the gym is like the barber shop; you come more for the social environment, to talk, catch up about the weekend’s mayhem with the grandkids, or the macaroni you cooked for dinner on Saturday night, than they do to workout. 

For me the gym is exactly what it is there for, to workout, 45 minutes on weights and 45 minutes on cardio.  I don’t factor in “talk time” into my routine. If I do entertain a conversation at the gym, then my workout becomes much less effective. Therefore I have no problem sticking ear buds into my ears with no music piping through them as I am protecting what I am paying for at the gym.

With this mentality, I was working out last Monday on the assisted dip machine.  I was doing a set of 8 workouts on this machine.  On my third set, I noticed in my peripheral vision an elderly woman awkwardly staring at me. I played it off as if I didn’t see her.  But I could only manage to do that for two more sets as she caught me glancing back at her.  In that fifth set I was challenged with, “Greg, if you care more about souls than you do…”  “Ugh, I just want to work out God, would you stop with this conviction stuff at inopportune times.”

After my fifth set, I took out my ear buds, and I turn to the lady who has now moved to an uncomfortable two feet from me and is staring at me without blinking.

“Ma’am, do you need help?”  I said.  Those words rolled off my tongue with a compassion that surprised me. I found in that moment that I truly came to a place where my assisted dips could wait in order to talk to this woman who clearly had something on her mind.  But I did not know that until I set the weights down and turned to the lady to engage her.

“I just came from the gym down the street and they didn’t have one of those machines, I wonder if I could do it, being as fat as I am.”  (Those were her words!).  “Let me help you try”, I replied as I adjusted the assisted weight to the full amount (which equaled about half her body weight).  “I am scared, I don’t think I can”, she uttered back with a tone that implied that she wanted to at least try.  “Ma’am, I’ll help you out, you can do it.” 

She was right; we barely made it through one rep together.  “Well I guess this machine just isn’t for fat people” (her words again! Don’t judge me) “Well”, I replied, “I guess that is why we are all here.” 

She thanked me and left. 

Then I thought, WEIRD!

I’ve never seen that woman before, she pops up at a time in my life that I am working through some God moments, and then disappears.

She was clearly a test for me to reveal where I was at with this lesson God was teaching me about caring more for souls than bills or other pointless things in life like ripped out triceps.

God has tested his children from the beginning.  We see this in Exodus as God tests the nation of Israel, in order to reveal their adherence to the Sabbath law or not.   

Exodus 16:4; Then the Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my law or not.”

This test would reveal Israel’s trust and reliance upon God for their daily bread, even on the Sabbath when it didn’t rain bread.  Some failed the test and revealed their lack of faith in Yahweh; others nailed the test as they truly learned to walk in faith.

God will often test you in life, like he did the Israelites.  The thing about the test is, they aren’t for God to know where we are at in our journey with Him (for God knows the words that come from our lips before we speak them as seen in Psalm 139:4), rather tests are indicators for us to determine weaknesses or strengths in our life.  God knew the outcome of this encounter with this woman at the gym before it ever started, but I didn’t.  After it culminated, I was more aware of the fact that I can set things down in life that have very little meaning in order to get to love someone.

Maybe right now you are being tested in life.  It could be a financial decision, or a relational decision.  Maybe it’s similar to my test.  Either way, these tests are the grace of God poured out onto our lives in order to give us mile markers in which we can gauge our Christian maturity.

If you call yourself a Christian, then tests will come along the way.  It’s not necessarily a matter of passing or failing them, rather it is a matter of learning from them.  The question is, will you? 

I hope I do.  I truly want to be more receptive and open to people throughout my day, caring less about things that have no eternal value in them.  The Lord showed me last week, through that small test at the gym that I can do this.