Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Blankie


 
“It’s cold in here” I thought to myself as I tossed and turned in my spacious bed that night.  My bed was roomier than normal as my wife had left to go on a trip for a week.

One thing is for sure, it’s hard to sleep when you are used to having someone next to you in bed for the last 7 years.  But the past few nights were harder than normal.  Something just wasn’t right, and I could not put my finger on it.  So I pulled the sheet up to my chin and stared at the ceiling as I thought about what my wife was doing half way across the nation (probably sleeping is what I concluded).

There was another quirky thing I was dealing with while my wife was absent.  There was a misplaced folded blanket on the ground on my side of the bed. 

“What is this blankie doing here and why is it in my way?” I asked myself every morning and evening as I walked around it getting in and out of my bed.  I was not going to bend over and pick it up, that was too much work for me, I’d rather walk around it; that seemed easier to me.

So the week went on, and the nights were sleepless as I wondered what was missing, besides my wife in the bed.

Finally, my wife was due home and I rushed with excitement to the airport to pick her up.  We met up, got some dinner out, and came home.  I was so excited to show her the projects I had been working on, and the fact that I had cleaned the house for her so she would not have to worry about it, as I knew she would be exhausted from traveling.  But, I was still too indolent to pick up the blankie on my side of the bed.

As she walked in the house, she beamed with joy as she saw a kitchen that was clean, and a house well taken care of.  As she walked in the room, she immediately saw the blankie on the floor, and it all began to make sense to me.  “How’d you sleep while I was gone, Greg?”  “Not that well.” I exclaimed.  “Do you want to know why?”  “Uh, take a shot at it! You weren’t here, so I don’t know how you would know.”  She responded, “Look at that blanket, nice and folded on the floor on your side of the bed.  Do you remember the last thing I said to you on my way out of the house?”  “I guess not”, I replied.  “It was, ‘Greg here is the blanket that I cover you with every night.  I am putting it on the floor on your side of the bed.  You walking around it will remind you that it is there.  If you do not use it, you won’t be able to sleep.’” “OH….Yeah…that makes sense now.”  My mind unlocked that buried memory of her saying those things to me before she departed.

That blankie stood in my way for an entire week.  I saw it as a nuisance, but in reality, it was a blessing.  I kept looking at it as if it was the problem, and yet it was my solution.

Funny how our perspective on things are not always correct.  My perspective on the blanket was, “That thing is in my way.”  My wife’s perspective was, “I am going to put this blanket in Greg’s way so that he remembers to use and therefore will be taken care of at night.” 

I wonder how often I have the wrong perspective on life.  What areas of my life am I looking at wrongly?  What are those things that God is doing in me right now that seem to cause frustration, yet, are being used to strengthen me and build me up?

Take a moment and take an inventory of those things in your life.  What are those things that are nuisances to you?

Later today, after you compile your list, ask God to give you His perspective on them.  You might just be walking around something that God has placed in your life to grow you and strengthen you.  Maybe it’s something that God wants to bless you with.  Regardless, ask God for his perspective on those issues.

James 1 says to consider it all joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness, and let steadfastness have its full affect so that we may be perfect and complete,  lacking in nothing.

Some of those nuisances in your life, maybe the trials you are facing, are designed to mature and perfect your faith.  They may also be designed to make you sleep better at night as you learn to trust in Jesus for all of your needs.

But the first step in this process is changing your perspective on those things, which can be done, through prayerfully seeking God’s will in each matter.

As for me, next time I see a blankie in my way, I am going to pick it up and cuddle with it, assuming my loving wife was thinking of me and knew I needed it to sleep.