Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Double Stuffed Forgiveness *W.A.B*

*A WIFE APPROVED BLOG

Let me give this disclaimer before I proceed.  About 1/3 way through this blog you will be thinking, “this guy is insensitive, and needs help.”  As I reflect on what transpired between my wife and I, I write to point out the foolishness of my mistakes, but (with the wife’s permission) set up the scene by pointing to a recent grocery store trip she made in which she made a minor mistake in one purchase. We have sense then sought forgiveness from each other and moved on ;)

***

I was horrified at what I saw in my cupboards the other day.   I honestly could not believe that my wife would do such a horrific thing to me.  Maybe it was to get back at me for something I did to her; maybe it was to save money.  Either way, this purchase during her last grocery store visit really took a toll on me.

My wife had the gall to buy the single stuffed Oreos when she had clearly been instructed many months before that the only Oreos we buy in the Harris house is the double stuffed Oreos.  In my mind, there is no reason to eat Oreos if they are single stuffed because if I wanted to eat crackers, I would buy crackers. The whole point to buying and enjoying Oreos is to enjoy the fluffy filled cream on the inside that perfectly complements the chocolate wafers on the outside which is only perfectly proportioned in the double stuffed Oreo.

In a single stuffed Oreo, the balance of sugary cream and wafers is all off.  The ratio of the cookie to the cream in a single stuffed is 3:1 (that is 3 part wafer to 1 part cream).  The devastating effects results in losing the flavor of the cream on the inside to the overwhelming taste of cookie on the outside.  On the contrary, the ratio of a double stuffed Oreo is perfected at 1.734 part wafer to1 part cream.

Think about it for a moment.  Why do all the little kids take their single stuffed Oreos, open them up, scrape off the cream and combine the cream from multiple Oreos on to one set of wafers?  Because, they get this principle all too well; it’s like we are born with this instinct to know the perfect blend of cookie with cream inside of an Oreo.  This strong preference which I developed as a kid, has carried well into my adult life, only now, I am too lazy to the extra work, I’d rather just buy them from the store pre-double stuffed.

But my wife must have skipped that class in elementary school or is simply missing this vital instinct to the survival of mankind.  (or she was trying to be wise with our money, get the most Oreos for the buck -  you get an additional 8 Oreos per package when you buy the single stuffed over the double stuffed.)

Regardless of her reason for buying these inadequate cookies that barely deserve to carry the name Oreo, I have a dilemma to work through.  What will I do?  I guess I have a couple of choices.  I could  hold this over my wife’s head for the rest our lives.  Every time she makes a mistake, I could tell her, “This is just like that time you were out to get me with the Oreo incident.”  This tactical approach would result in a wedge being driven into our marriage and into my love for my bride. 

I could also put my love for double stuffed Oreos over my love for my wife, and command her to return the single stuffed Oreos, less she becomes like the single stuffed Oreo, emphasis on single (read the disclaimer again).

Or, I could see how ridiculous I am being, how I am putting the desires of my flesh (my taste buds) over my desire to love my wife.  I could forgive her for the mistake she made, regardless of the reason, and humbly eat the single stuffed Oreos with appreciation that she thought of me while at the grocery store. 

And if you are thinking what I am thinking, I should ask for a serving of double stuffed forgiveness.  I should seek forgiveness for such a mean spirited attitude towards my wife, and for not loving her as I ought, as her husband.  I should seek her forgiveness for not leading her as a husband ought to in the Lord, by grace and mercy, and for demanding of my wife to do things for me that are absolutely absurd.

Seems like Colossians 3:12-14 speaks well to this.  12 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.” 

But before I make the walk of shame to my wife (better referred to as the walk of humility) I need to get a glass of Whole Milk to wash down these wafers that have been lodged in my throat since I started writing this…..….COME ON! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, ONLY 1% IN THE FRIDGE…UGH…here we go again.