Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

He Willl

As I was closing out the Sunday service this past week, I closed with a passage from 1 Thessalonians 5:23.  It reads, “Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.”  But I glanced ahead to the next verse quickly and realized that I could not stop at verse 23, so I read 24 also’ “He who calls you is faithful, he will surely do it.”

There is one astounding promise in those two verses that is repeated twice by Paul.  Do you see it?  If not, re-read the passage until it jumps off the page and grabs you.  If you believe you have found that promise, say it to yourself, “God will _____________________________________.”  If you need to, say it again and again until it begins to penetrate your heart. 

Here is the promise, the Lord Jesus Christ will sanctify you (will grow you and mature you into His likeness).  He will keep your entire self, body, spirit and soul, blameless until his return.  He is faithful, He will surely do it.

Have you been wrestling with your sin?  Have you been working hard to present yourself blameless to God?  Have you wrestled with addictions for years on end and have never found true freedom?  Do you wonder why you can’t seem to stop your mind from agonizing over anxious thoughts?  Are you tired of being an angry person but you don’t have the motivation and ability to kill that anger?  May the God of peace sanctify you, may Jesus keep you as blameless.  He will surely do it.  Jesus has the power to set you free from the struggles you are entangled in day after day.  But you have to let go of yourself and give it to Him.  He wants to set you free, but will not until you have given it all to him and until you recognize that He is the only source of true freedom.  I know it’s tough to let go of control, especially in those areas of life that we feel like are completely out of control.  But picture this, if somehow you found yourself in the pilot chair of a 747 that is on a crash course to earth, and the pilot is looking at you saying, “Hey, just let go of the wheel for a second and get out of the seat, and I will get in that seat and take over and save you, but you have to trust me.  If you don’t we will crash, because you don’t know how to fly this plane.”  Would you let go and allow yourself and the plane to be without a driver for a brief second?   Would you entrust your life into the hands of the pilot to be saved?  Of course you would!  Jesus is saying the same thing.  He will surely sanctify you.  John 8:31-32 says,  “If you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciples, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”  The truth of Jesus Christ is the only thing can set you free in this world, and the truth is, He will set you free.

This promise breathes life into the Matthew 11:28 passage that say, “Come to me all you are burdened and heavy laden and I will give you rest.”  There seems to be nothing more in my life that wears me out than trying to stop sinning.  What a relief to see that Jesus will fight my battles for me if I allow Him, and that I will begin to find true freedom from the snares of life.