Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Make Believe God


The last time I talked to my good friend, Brad Pitt (it’s awesome knowing someone like Brad, or as I like to call him, B), was about two weeks ago via Skype.  We were chatting up a storm over, believe it or not, fishing.  Many people don’t know this but Brad loves to fish, and I don’t mind it myself!  In fact, the two of us are planning an offshore fishing adventure early next summer. It’s going to be a blast. 

Fishing wasn’t the only thing we talked about. Throughout the conversation, we talked about various subjects such as, the Hollywood life, Midtown, and weight lifting.  One interesting topic that came up was facial hair (I told you it was interesting).  I told B that I’ve always envied how he can seemingly grow a beard over night and it was always full.  My facial hair tends to come out in patches, what’s up with that?

Well, he said he had to run and get to some hair swinging, eye stunning Hollywood scene, but we plan to talk again, real soon.

YEAH RIGHT!  That only happened in my head.   I couldn’t even begin to tell you the names of the movies he’s in, let alone the color of his hair.  The only reason I know anything about “B” is because he is constantly plastered on my television set and on the tabloids.   I do not have a friendship with him.  It doesn’t matter how much I know of him, how much I have read about him on E! or Wikipedia, we do not have a relationship since he doesn’t know me.  I can make believe that we have a friendship, and play it out in my head, but that doesn’t mean that we actually do.

Unfortunately, some people have this relationship with Christ.  They have learned about Him through church, and possibly even through media or snippets of verses littered on billboards, yet they do not have a relationship with Him because Christ doesn’t know them in return.  We see a vivid picture of this in Matthew 7:21-23 ,

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’”

These individuals duped themselves into believing that they had an intimate relationship with Christ.  Their proof was, “everything we did was in your name.”  Basically they told God that because they talked about him, did acts of kindness and accredited them to Jesus, and even told demons to scram by Jesus’ name that they must have had a relationship with Him.  They are also implying that these were things Jesus would do, and they were emulating him, therefore they must have known each other.

Clearly, Jesus is saying that it is possible to have a make believe relationship with him.  We can be deceived in believing that we have a relationship with him because we say the right things or do the right things in his name.  But our mental knowledge of Jesus can deceive us into believing we have a real relationship with him.

The fact is, Jesus must know you also, that salvation does not take place because you know what to say or what to do, or because you can rattle off Jesus facts better than the average Christian. 

God doesn’t leave us hanging to wonder if we truly have a relationship with Christ or not.  Here are a few ways to examine yourself and to test your relationship with Christ. 

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Do I love?  If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

John 8:31 Do I  hold to the teaching of Christ?  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,”

2 John 9  Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

1 John 15:8 Do I  bear fruits of a Christian life?  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

2 Corinthians 13:8 Does it bother me when I am disobedient?  “For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth.”

Test yourself today; examine yourself to see if you are in the faith.  If you truly can ask yourself the hard questions, then I believe God will show you if your relationship with him is make-believe or if it is real.  The great news is this, if it is make-believe, then that can change today, right now by confessing that he is Lord and believing in your heart that God raised him from the dead!