Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

PiNNED

After coming back from vacation and stepping on the scale, I knew I had some serious catching up to do with my weight.  So I decided to step it up at the gym while beginning to carve back on my calorie intake.
Eager to achieve new heights at the gym, I jumped straight in with chest workouts.  Any weight lifter knows that taking a few weeks off results in some muscle atrophy leaving you a touch weaker than before.  
Therefore, you need to invest some time to gradually get your body back to the strength that it was before you took a break from the gym.  Well, I pushed that theory aside and went straight for my maximum lifting weight plus an extra 5lbs.  In my sheer determination, I was able to do a few sets of 6 reps of my maximum lifting weight.  But, just when I was feeling good about myself, something happened that has never happened to me at the gym.

I was on my 5th set of bench pressing.  I was aiming for 6 reps as before, but I could tell it would be a push, as my arms were shaking on the 2nd rep.  I had barely pushed out the 3rd rep, and the 4th rep should have been my indicator that I was finished.  But I was determined to get to 6.  As I was lowering the weight to my chest on the 5th rep, a thought flashed through my mind.  When you are in an extreme workout, the last thing you need is a random thought to pop into your mind to break your focus.

Well that’s exactly what happened, a stressful thought about work popped into my mind and I began to get anxious about it.   As I was lowering the weights, my mind wandered to this situation at work and I began to get anxious.  I started thinking about how I could fix the problem in order to make it go away and how to prevent it from happening again.

Then I remembered I had a couple hundred pounds of weight I was attempting to lift.  The problem now was I had no motivation to lift it as it rested on my chest.  My anxious thoughts stole all my motivation in that moment.  As I laid on the bench with the weight on top of me I thought to myself, “just grunt like a man and lift it.”  So I did, but the weights did not budge.  I tried it again and again, and I could not lift the weight even a half an inch.  I was pinned.  So I looked around me for someone to help, and there was an old gentleman with a walker to my left.  I hollered to him, but he didn’t hear me (probably a good thing).  So I did the only other thing I could think of, I prayed.  “God I really need your help right now, the issue at work will be taken care of by you, I don’t need to sweat it, but I am sweating this situation right here right now, could you offer me a hand?”  And then with everything I could muster, I lifted the weights off of me and re-hung them. (This was nothing short of a miracle)

It was a vivid reminder to me about the need to trust in the Lord in all that we do.  Peter was able to walk on water, as long as he kept his mind on the Lord.  But the moment he focused on the troubling waters around him, he began to sink.  Only the Lord was able to pull him out of his situation.
If you feel as if you are sinking or are pinned under a stack of weights in life and you cannot seem to move them, ask yourself, “Have I taken my focus off of the Lord and placed it upon myself?  Have I stopped lifting my requests up to the Lord and have attempted to fix my situations myself?”  Anxiety will cause you to sink in life and will steal the God given motivation from you to live life to its fullest.  But if you lock into a relationship with Christ, you will be able to do more than you have ever imagined, as He will set you free from your anxiety and strengthen you to conquer the day.

“The Lord is my strength and ever present help in times of trouble”.