Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Bros

It was 15 against 3.  Standing beside me were my two brothers, across from us, 12 girls and 3 boys, all of us in the elementary school, and we were about to brawl.  But before I get there let me take you to Romans.
Paul gives a simple reminder for the church in Romans 12:10; “Love one another with brotherly love.”
Just moments before he said, “Let your love be genuine.”  These are two very different types of love.

In the second reminder I gave, that love is at the core of who you are.  It is the type of love that defines you and was exhibited by Christ fully at the cross.
The first love, brotherly love is a love that bonds a family.  This love is necessary in the family of God, in the church.  For this is the type of love that overlooks faults and says, “I got your back brother, sister, no matter the circumstance.”

A church that goes through a split is a church that lacks brotherly love, because this love is designed to bond a family together even in the fiercest storms.

I grew up with four brothers, so I am well aware of what it means to have brotherly love.  We have had our punches at each other, we have had our moments of headlocks and noogies, but at the end of the day, we are still brothers and united, because we are bound by this brotherly love.

Even to this day, when I hear that one of my brothers gets into a fight, my heart instantly prods me and says, “you should have been there to help.” (not that I would have been much of a help)  Regardless of if my brother is right or wrong, I have a gut urge to back my brothers up.  It doesn’t matter if we have spoken in two years or two days, when there is danger involved, I want to help because they are my brothers.

I will always remember one of my first fights (what an understatement).  I was in third grade.  Things were heating up between my two oldest brothers and a couple of other boys at school. It culminated after school one day when one of my brothers said that Trevor and his boys would be waiting for us at the stop sign.  I would ride my bike home every day with my two older brothers, and today I was pumped as we were to rendezvous at a certain stop sign on the way home in order to settle this score. 

I saw them in the distance, and pedaled up to them and did a little skid maneuver with my back wheel to show them who was boss.  My oldest brother pulled up next to me, and the words starting flying.  Before long, one of them grabbed his back pack and tossed it into the middle of the road.  With as much force as my pre pubertal voice could muster I commanded them to go pick up his back pack.  They didn’t (no surprise).

Soon after the words were exchanged, a van pulled up and the door opened and out ran about a dozen girls who surrounded us. 

Now being out number 5 to 1, we were determined to not lose.  That lasted about 5 seconds, as every girl literally jumped on top of me and my view instantly became a sea of skin as I laid on the sidewalk wondering what just happened.  I can still remember how I laughed as I was being scratched and gouged.  For some reason I thought it was fun.

Then, through the bodies of girls, I saw my oldest brother literally ripping them off of me; he was determined to set me free.  It was only the three of us, but we gave it our best shot. We most definitely walked away the losers, but it didn’t matter, we had each other.

That is brotherly love.  To this day, I have no idea what we fought about, I just knew my brothers were being hassled and I was ready to get their back, and in return, they had mine.
Now, imagine the strength of the church to withstand persecution if we were to love each other like that.  Imagine the force in which we could stand the blows of the enemy if we were ready to back each other up.

Let me encourage you, if you have a beef with a brother or sister in Christ,  resolve it so it doesn’t affect the love you are to have for them.  Forgive them or seek forgiveness by them, but let us not turn against each other, rather let us protect each other.  There will be punches thrown in the church, but at the end of the day, I pray that you and I don’t get hung up on those punches, but we move on from them in forgiveness and reconciliation.