Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Counting the Cost

How much are you willing to pay to see one soul enter into eternity?

I love the hymn, “Jesus Paid it All”.  I believe we will never understand the weight of a statement like that.  He paid it all?  What does all encompass?  His life?  His glory?  What else did he pay in order to save you from the punishment your sin justly deserves?

This week has been a crazy week as we hopped from doctor visit to the ER back to the doctor, back to the hospital for x-rays, trying to diagnose my daughter’s illness.

For a brief moment I contemplated on how we were driving across town, sometimes three times a day this week and how we were going to blow our gas budget because of my daughter being sick.  You know what I did after that thought? That’s right!  I kept driving to the next appointment and then the next appointment because the cost of gas doesn’t compare to the health of my daughter.  I will pay whatever it would take to make my daughter well.  

Then, in the midst of my thought about how good of a dad I was because I wasn’t putting my gas budget before the needs of my daughter, I had one of those “God” moments. “Greg”, God said in his oh so quiet convincing voice, “If that’s how much you are willing to pay to save the physical well being of another human, then how much are you willing to pay to save the souls of many more?”

Sheesh!  Why, God?  You really need to bring that up now.  Do you have to bring that point up in the moment of life where it is going to be most compelling!  Because the truth is, I am not willing to pay it all, and I am probably not willing to pay as much as I would on my daughter’s health to see people come to know Jesus Christ.

How much would you pay, how much would you invest to see one soul enter into the glory of God?  How far out of your comfort zone would you travel?  How much of your budget would you blow?  How deep would you travel into the realms of faith in order to see just one person come to know Christ and be saved from the grips of God’s eternal wrath?

I don’t know about you, but that’s one I have to sit on for awhile.  I don’t have an answer today.  I know what I would want my answer to be, and that is, I am willing to pay it all, but I know when push comes to shove, I’m not, but I want to be willing to.  Are you?


“Jesus paid it all, all to him I owe.  Sin has left a crimson stain; he washed it white as snow.”  Thank You Jesus!