Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When God Calls

How do you know if God is talking to you?  How do you distinguish between the voice of God and the rumblings of the refried beans you ate the night before?  Seriously, with all of the advice we get day after day, how do you pick out God’s voice from worldly counsel?

It reminds me of a phone call I got recently.  I wrote a letter to Jim Cymbala, Pastor and founder of the Brooklyn Tabernacle in Brooklyn New York.  After I read his book Fresh Wind Fresh Fire I realized much of my story is like his.  So I wrote him a letter in a moment of discouragement hoping for a response, but not expecting one (he has a church of 20,000 people).

About a week later, I started receiving phone calls from a number I didn’t recognize.  I will often times get sales calls on my cell phone, so I don’t typically answer these calls.  After the third phone call in three days I started to get perturbed at this person’s persistence, so I answered it, but disguised my voice in my best Mexican accent I could muster (why do I do these things?).  It was Jim Cymbala.

I felt like a fool.  Here is a man who has tried to call me several times in order to physically respond to my letter.  Being taken back at the voice I was hearing on the other end, I told Jim I was busy at the moment and asked him if I could call him back (I was busy with a church that was .035% of his church.)
How do we know when God is calling us?  How do we learn to recognize God’s voice when He is speaking?

Unfortunately I do not have a scientific method to enable you to know the divine voice from other voices.  But I can at least point you in the right direction.

First, we do know that the Bible is God’s voice.  Start there.  Do not search the web, or turn on the radio when you are looking for God to speak to you.  Open the Bible and begin reading it.  The more you hide the Scriptures in your heart, the easier it will be for you to recognize God’s voice and guidance when it comes.  Because, if the guidance you are receiving contradicts the Word of God, then it isn’t from God.

Second, learning to hear from God takes some practice.  When God called Samuel for the first time in 1 Samuel 3, it took Samuel three tries to recognize it was God.  He had to receive some guidance from an elderly friend who was close to God for him to learn to recognize God’s voice.  But eventually he got it. 
Because we are in this fallen world, we can easily mistaken God’s voice for another voice or miss it when God does call.  Get wise counsel from mature believers.  Ask them if what you are thinking is of God or not.  Then once you have been given the counsel, act on it.  Samuel had to act on Eli’s counsel, and respond back to God. 

The bottom line is found in John 10:3, “…The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”

We do have a God who leads his children.  His voice is not always audible, but it is known by his children.  In return, we need to know our shepherd.  We need to learn to recognize his voice among the many voices of today’s post modern world.  And we need the strength of his son, Jesus Christ, to act upon what we hear.

Last point, when you do answer him, or speak to him, go ahead and talk like a Mexican, or a northerner, or any other accent you want to use, because he is not offended with you being in your raw form. In fact, he invites it.