Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

If It Smells Like Fish It Probably Is

Dude!  It stinks in my garage right now!  A few days ago I noticed my garage developing an ominous odor and I overlooked it as a mystery odor that would go away on its own.  Nothing could be farther from the truth!

I woke up yesterday morning and walked into my garage and was taken aback by the dense smell in the garage.

It was too much.  So I began trying to find the source of the smell, assuming something had crawled up and died in a corner somewhere.  It literally smelled like (and still does) rotten fish.  But I had no fish anywhere, so it couldn’t have been that (so I thought).

Well, my sniffer led me to the fridge that sits in my garage.  I looked at my fridge and thought, “What could be in there that is smelling so bad?”  I opened the fridge, and nothing, the fridge was empty.  But in the freezer was death.  I have a tough stomach.  I have not vomited for years (except the one time and old lady tricked me into gargling with straight vinegar, I puked 5x’s then.  Ok, she told me to dilute it with water, but I was too eager to kick the cold I had, so I went all in), but when this door flung open, I did everything in my power to not add to the smell by leaving my breakfast behind also.

In my freezer was a bloody fishy mess.  I caught some fish about 8 months ago that I have never cooked.  I forgot it was in my freezer.  I also forgot that I unplugged my freezer three days ago and forgot to plug it back in.  Now my garage smells like rotten fish.

This reminds me of the old adage that says, “If it smells like fish, it’s probably a fish”.

All too often in life we struggle with grey area sins.  You know, those sins that, in societie’s eye are permissible, but in God’s eyes are evil.  Take for example the sin of lust.  What man, outside of Christ, would say it’s wrong to gaze upon a woman?  Or what person, of the world, is convicted that gossip is wrong, seeing it nothing more than a casual conversation?  What individual, without the conviction of the Holy Spirit, would be brought to their knees in confession over a white lie?  These sins may seem less depraved in our eyes, but still produce the smell of death in the sight of God.

The Psalmist says in Psalm 38:5 that his wounds stink and fester because of his foolishness. The rottenness of his sins has left a stench that he cannot ignore.  Listen to the graphic effect sin has on his life as he utters his confession to God:

Verse 2 – God’s arrows have sunk into me, and your hand has come upon me.

Verse 3 – There is no soundness in my flesh, no health in my bones

Verse 7 – My sides are filled with burning

Verse 8 – I am feeble and crushed, I groan because of the tumult of my heart

Verse 10 – My heart throbs, my strength fails me, the light of my eyes, it also has gone from me

Verse 17 – I am ready to fall, my pain is ever before

Then, then comes verse 18.  A verse I can, and we all can learn from.  Instead of wallowing in the guilt and pain of his foolishness, he turns to God and says, “I am sorry”. 

Verse 18 -  I confess my iniquity, I am sorry for my sin. 

Only after his confession can he plead for God’s mercy in verse 21 and 22,

Do not forsake me, O LORD! O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me,  O Lord, my salvation!

Hey, if it smells like dead fish, it probably is.  If it smells like sin, it probably is.  If there is something you are dabbling in, in life, that casts doubt, tension, or guilt in you, then it needs to be addressed.  Ask the Lord to reveal to you if there is any foolishness that you need to seek his forgiveness from, and then confess your sins to him.  The amazing news is, He is faithful and just to forgive you of your sins and cleanse you from all unrighteousness.

For now, the fish smell in my garage is a grave reminder of the condition of my heart, it has been cleansed before God the Father by the blood of Jesus Christ, yet there is still the effect of sin I have to deal with and confess day to day.