Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Courier

I remember the courier job I once had in Mississippi. I was not your typical courier.  I delivered proofs and products for a printing press.  I started off doing it on my motorcycle in order to save gas.  That lasted a couple of months before I upgraded to my Acura Vigor. 
This car was cool at first, but then turned into a courier’s worst nightmare.  It started when I was at one of my deliveries and my door wouldn’t open.  No matter what I did, I could not open my door to get out of my car.  So I went to plan B, I climbed over into my passenger seat and got out.  As a college student, I did not have the money to repair my door, so I used my passenger door to get in and out of my car for these deliveries.  It definitely wasn’t professional, but it got the job done.   Well at least a lot better than what happened next.
As I was driving through the parking lot on my way to a delivery, I was side swiped by another car on my passenger side.  The damage wasn’t bad, so we parted ways and took care of the insurance stuff later.
I got to my delivery, and would you believe it, my passenger door now wouldn’t open!  So, I opened my sun roof and began using that for deliveries.  All that mattered was that it got the job done.  I know it was not professional, seeing your delivery boy climb onto the hood of his car, and shimmy in to it through the roof, kicking and flailing his legs as he tried to maneuver his way into the driver seat, but I got them their package.
My job was to deliver packages, and I could do it however I needed to, but it needed to get done.  The customers did not care about the look of the car or how I got into it, they cared about the product I was delivering.
This incident reminds me of Mark 16:15, “And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.”  We have a message to carry to the world.  The thing is, Jesus is not concerned about how it gets there, rather he concerned that it gets done. 
Perhaps you are not a good orator, maybe you stutter when you speak, or you don’t necessarily have all the facts straight about the Bible.  Maybe you are scared to death to say anything because of what someone might say back to you.  Those are all valid concerns. But Jesus Christ lives in you and will enable you to say what you need to say, do what you need to do, and ultimately equip you for the gospel message that you are to carry in your world. 

Maybe you look like a fool climbing in and out of your car delivering the gospel message, who cares!  I don’t and Jesus doesn’t, but he is pleased with the faith that you have that enables you to overcome your fears in order to get the job done.