Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Divine Peace


One sunny afternoon my mom called all five of her sons to the porch and asked, “Who broke the chair?”   Clearly one of us broke it, it was lying in front of us in pieces.  The problem was, no one said anything. “Who broke it?” Still, silence from the boys.  “If whoever broke it doesn’t say something, you will all be punished.”  My twelve year old mind tried to quickly rationalize the problem to find a way out of being punished; I had more lizards to catch and did not have time for punishment.  But reality set in, the culprit was not going to say anything and therefore I was doomed to be punished no matter what, so it made sense to me at the time to just say I did it since I was destined to be punished anyway.  My brothers could then go off and keep catching lizards for me.  “It was me.”  I said in my best guilty voice. “Head to your room for lying and not saying anything when you broke it”, my mom replied.

At that moment, the punishment was being paid for and my brothers were at peace with our mom.  The broken chair issue will not need to be brought up again because it was behind us all.  The punishment was paid, and everyone was set free to go back to their summer fun, except me of course.  (I never told them it wasn’t me, but if one of you would like to confess now, that’d be fine!)

Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Not to be nitpicky, but could you read that verse again, slower.  Take that 5 word statement in the middle “we have peace with God”, and cling to it for a minute.  Turn it upside down, inside out, and mentally digest it.

There is nothing too fancy about that phrase right?  Well, try this phrase on for size, “you do not have peace with God”.  How does that thought make you feel, if you truly knew you did not have peace with God?

That phrase may make you squirm just a bit.  That is not an idea we savor, so we justify why we do have peace with God, in order to feel better about ourselves.

Peace with God is something everyone longs for, yet not all know how to find it.  The answer sits on the surface of the pages where Romans 5:1 resides and can be summarized by gluing together the first and last parts of the verse, “Therefore since we have been justified by faith…in our Lord Jesus Christ”.

Peace with God can only be found by faith through Jesus Christ.  Here is why.  Jesus Christ did not go to the Father and say, “Hey Father, I know these guys and gals are pretty messed up, why don’t you say, we just forgive them and call it a day?  It would make things a lot easier between all of us.” (I could only imagine trying that argument with my mom, “mom, I know we are a bunch of knuckleheads, but what do you say we all forget about this broken chair and the fact that one of us is lying to you and we all go our separate ways?”)  Rather, Jesus knew the Father’s wrath that had been stirred up by our sin needed to be appeased, and therefore said, “Father, I know these guys and gals are pretty messed up, and since you are perfect and holy, you demand an account to be made for their sins. Can I pay the price for their sins, so they can be at peace with you?  I love them too much to see them bear your wrath, so treat me as if I was them, sinful and messed up, then, and only then, can they live at peace with you.”

So Jesus bore the burden of the cross, separation from his Father, and death, in order for us to be at peace with God. 

But since death could not hold Jesus, Jesus was able to appease the Father’s wrath, at the same time becoming the mediator of our sins to the Father.

This is why faith in Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to have peace with God.  For those who turn to Jesus and put their faith, their trust in him, the Father’s wrath has been appeased. There is not an ounce of vengeance or punishment God the Father wants to pour out on you, you have perfect peace with Him, because the punishment of your sin has already been paid.

Therefore, you can go back to catching lizards, someone stepped and took your punishment.