Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Carry Your Weight!


 Romans 12:4-6a For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6 Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them:

Can I play out to you a ridiculous situation?  I'd rather tell you up front that this is ridiculous just in case you thought it actually happened.

My right foot told my right hand pinky (my dominant pinky, I had them both fight once and this one won) that he was tired of carrying his dead weight around.  The more my right foot bickered at the pinky for not carrying his weight, the more the left foot began to think and started chiming in on how he was tired of doing all of the work too.  To add insult upon injury, the mouth jumped in and said it was fed up that the pinky wasn't speaking for itself.  Before long the entire body was pressing the pinky to do more, instead of just hang there.  All along, the non-dominant pinky just curled up and hid in hopes that it would not be next.

Pretty absurd huh?   My pinky is a very specific body part designed to do one thing...and honestly I can't tell you what that one thing is.  But, if I was to lose my pinky today, I bet you I would find out real quick how important it was.

It's just as absurd when the body of Christ does the same thing.  Why do we look at each other and tell each other in the church that, "you need to do more evangelism, or discipleship, or you should serve more, or be more generous".   (sorry, did I touch a nerve) If you are part of the body of Christ, meaning Jesus Christ is your head,your authority in life, then you have a role that God has given you to help the church's mission to make disciples.  Your role maybe preaching or teaching, serving or some other role.  Either way, keep doing what your doing, find success in the eyes of Christ, because he is one you are serving.  And in the words of my good friend, "choose to be a failure in the sight of everyone else so you can succeed in the role that Christ gave you."

BTW, I do not endorse consumerism in the church (in case you thought I did because I am cutting some slack to those who I have seen get rung by others in the church for having a behind the scenes role in the church).  Meaning, if you are using the line, "God has not gifted me with much, so I will just show up and take from the body", then you are not utilizing your role in the body (ouch another nerve...I'll let up) and are abusing the grace God has given you by not walking in faith.  You are part of the body, jump in and help.  Be it inside the church, in your neighborhoods, at your work, in your family, you're needed, your not dead weight.