Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Word of God Pierces the Soul

I was stopped in my thoughts yesterday as a well respected friend uttered a phrase that I have heard a dozen times in the past 4 months, "Greg, I just don't know about the church, I feel like we have become more like an institution instead of what God designed us to be, a body of Christ that makes disciples first and foremost."  I still can't shake his words.  They pierced my heart. I was broken this morning as I reflected on his words because I am the pastor of a church who DOES NOT want to see the local church fight to maintain its four walls, but to fight for the souls who are perishing day after day.

Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Bounce back to Acts and read Acts 2:37  Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”...Peter told them to repent, and they did.

Preceding Acts 2:37 is the first sermon found in Acts and it is delivered by Peter.  In this sermon, Peter (just a fisherman and a sailor turned disciple) delivers a sermon that is 1/3 Scripture, 2/3 exposition.  The result of his sermon: the people's hearts break over their sin and turn to God.

Do you believe in the power of the Bible that is lying on your night stand or in your book case?  If not, can I challenge you to pick it up and ask God to reveal to you the piercing power of His Word.  Then be ready to be broken!  If my friend's words that were spoken yesterday had enough impact to stop me and begin to break my heart, how much more can God's Word pierce my soul.