Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Whatever Your Hands Find to Do...Do


Discerning the will of God can be paralyzing at times.  Should I do this, or should I do that?  Is this God’s will or is that God’s will?  I used to ask that question about a 100 times a day.  Before long, I was doing a lot less in life in fear that I was not in-line with God’s will. 

Do you know what I mean?  You long to love God through obedience and therefore you want to know his will for you in every nook and cranny of life.  Does Scripture speak to this?  Yes it does.  Let me show you three places where God gives you the liberty to live your life in confidence that He will guide your steps.

1 Samuel 10:7 (Saul has just been anointed king.  God is about to give Saul a new heart and The Holy Spirit will soon rush on him.  Here is Samuel’s command to Saul.)  “Now when these signs meet you, do what your hands find to do, for God is with you.”  Now that is liberating.  Do what your hands find to do, because God is with you.  You can say that too, because you have also been given the Holy Spirit as a Child of God. 

Ecclesiastes 9:10a reiterates this exhortation:  “Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might…”
Solomon doesn’t just say to do it, rather jump all in and do it with all your might!  To do something with all your might means you must erase all doubt that it isn’t a part of God’s will and move forward in faith that God will guide you through it.  Proverbs speaks to this a bit further.

Proverbs 16:9 says, “The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.”  With a verse like that backing me, I am free to plan my day, my weeks, my months, and my years because I have complete confidence that God will direct my steps.  If my hands find something to do then I will confidently trust that God will either guide me through it, away from it, or teach me by it.

Next time you face that fork in the road, in faith, do what your hands find to do (or want to do). Trust that God is with you and is guiding you through the decision because the Holy Spirit is at work in you.