Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Light Unto My Feet

Psalm 119:105 Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

I climbed into my attic yesterday  without a flashlight, fumbling my way through the rafters, trying not to fall through the ceiling.  As I was up there, I tried to run a new duct line for my ac unit (something I have never done before and will never do again) in the dark. I was regretting my lazy decision not to bring a light.  It made the entire job so much more stressful, and to boot, I had to do the job multiple times because I couldn't see if I had the duct sealed right.  I wonder why I attempt to do jobs without the proper lighting?  It doesn't make sense, especially in an attic.

We too have a choice to pick up a light to carry us through the darkness of this world.  Just like my attic, this world is a complicated place.  We try to navigate life's problems without falling through the cracks, hopelessly trying to stay off of rock bottom, much like  someone trying to navigate the rafters that are spaced awkwardly apart in a dark hot attic without a light.  Before long, you will fall through, that is, unless you can see where you are going.

The Word of God, the Bible, sheds light onto our paths.  It gives us a peace of mind as we encounter various trials in this life.  The questions is, do you choose to pick it up?  Do you choose to read it?  I know, I know, it's not the easiest read.  I was reading it this morning and fell asleep (I was dreaming that I fell through the rafters and shook violently and woke up and continued reading).  Give it a try.  Start in the book of John and read about who Jesus was.  And ask God to shed light onto your path. 

And I have learned my lesson, next time I go into the attic, I am bringing my Bible!