Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Delegation

My wife will often times give my 15 month old daughter something to carry while she is holding her.  My daughter never refuses to carry something for mommy.  For example, when mom hands her her car keys to carry, without fail, my daughter’s concealed dimples are exposed as she smiles with excitement.
Lately, when my daughter is handed something to carry she tries to pass the item off to me.  Seeing that my hands are empty and hers are now full, triggers a thought in her developing mind that goes something like this, “Daddy is perfectly able to carry something; I will delegate carrying mommy’s car keys to him.” 
Just recently, after taking the car keys, or whatever item my daughter had just told me to carry, I got to thinking, “This is backwards, I should be delegating work to my daughter, not the other way around.”  (For the record, she will be mowing the yard by time she is 4).

Let’s use our imagination just for a minute and picture the scene in the cosmos between god the Father and God the Son when the Father revealed His will concerning creation to His Son (understanding that we have to guard our imagination with the Word of God to keep it from developing errors about God).  The foundations of the world have not been laid yet, the earth and it’s fullness is a distant reality.  The Father turns to his Son and says, “Son, I have a job for you to do, we are going to create mankind.  These people that we will create will turn their backs on us, spit at us, worship fake gods that they create, and stir my wrath against them.  At times I will want to destroy them and wipe them off the face of the earth.  But we are going to love them in return.  In fact we are going to love them so much, that I am going to need you to give up your life as a sacrifice for them so that I can live with some of these people that we will create for the rest of eternity.”  If the conversation went anything like that, then here is the Son’s (Jesus’) response in John 6:38, 40 to the wicked people discussed before hand, “For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me… For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

What love is that!  Jesus didn’t try to take this horrendous task of carrying the sins of the world on his back and place them on us.   He didn’t try to delegate the task his Father gave him to the very people who deserve to carry this burden.  He simply said, ok I’ll do it.  And anyone of these wicked people that looks to me and believes in me I will save from their sins.  The reality is we deserve to carry the burden of our punishment.  But God, our creator, delegated that task unto himself.

What a humbling picture of God’s love.  Why would we want to carry the burden of our sin any further when Jesus was sent here to do that very thing?  It’s so backwards in our finite minds.  Think about for a second, you can actually delegate the punishment that you deserve to Jesus, who didn’t deserve it, and he will gladly take it.  This is why he says, “Look on me and believe in me and you will have eternal life…” 

I guess it’s so hard to give Jesus all of my sins because ultimately, I feel bad because my sins are so many. They are a lot for someone to carry, and I want to try to help carry them, I am the one guilty of breaking God’s law anyways.  But Jesus is God, he can handle them, and not only that, he has abolished them.  

Today, where you are, take a moment and look to Jesus, giving him the sins of your heart, and be free of that burden.  It was his delight to carry them, and he wants to because he loves you.