Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Just Because I Can

My daughter is learning how to walk.  She is starting to master standing, but is still a bit bashful when it comes to walking.  I love to see her stand without holding on to things, a sense of daddy pride rushes over me as I watch her grow.

But just because she knows how to stand doesn’t mean she always should.
She got a shiny red wagon for Christmas this year and loves to go on wagon rides around the block as she inquisitively takes in the things to see.  Every once in a while I will turn back to look at her to see her standing, barely holding on to the protective side rail.  I tell her, for her safety, she has to sit down before we can move on.

You see just because she can stand doesn’t mean she always should.

Likewise, Paul reminds us of our Christian liberty in Romans 14.  Romans 14 shows us the relationship between a mature Christian and a young Christian.  The issue at hand was eating food.  The mature Christians saw it permissible to eat all foods, while the younger Christians were feeling guilty about eating certain meats.  The Lord has granted us many freedoms in Christ that we can enjoy.  For example: a glass of wine, country music, and eating meat just to name a few. 

But just because we can enjoy these Christian liberties doesn’t mean we always should.  Paul gives us two reasons we should not indulge in these areas:

1. We should abstain from certain activities if we do not have the appropriate measure of faith to perform them.  Romans 14:23b says, “For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.”  If you are forcing yourself to drink a glass of wine, and are feeling guilty about it, then it’s best that you don’t drink that glass of wine because it isn’t coming from faith.

2. As the first, we should refrain from these liberties if it causes our brother or sister in Christ to stumble.  Romans 14:15 says, “For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love.  By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ has died.”  Sometimes my activities can tempt someone else to sin.  Therefore it is better to deny my flesh in order to love my brother or sister, than to enjoy these liberties and tempt them to sin.

Next time you are sitting alone enjoying the chill of the evening air, sipping your glass of white wine while listening to some classical country music on your front porch, you can thank God for giving you the freedom to enjoy such pleasures in faith. (Sounds nice, I think I will pour me a tall glass of A&W Root Beer while I listen to Brad Paisley tonight).